Blues   Brumbies   Bulls   Cheetahs   Chiefs    Crusaders   Force    Highlanders   Hurricanes   Lions    Rebels   Reds   Sharks   Stormers  Waratahs - S.Kings
---- --- -- - ----

Grant kicks Stormers to victory over Sharks

Article Published: Saturday 3 March 2012

Email Article | Print Article | Click here to Bet 10 and Get 20 in Rugby Bets

Peter Grant kicked a penalty three minutes from time to earn the Stormers a 15-12 victory in a tryless Super Rugby match at Newlands in Cape Town.

The Sharks led the Stormers 6-9 at half time but their discipline let them down and they got onto the wrong side of referee Mark Lawrence who persistanly blew them up for infringements.

Grant came on 25 minutes from full time but did not immediately take over the kicking duties and Joe Pietersen continued to kick.

After Pietersen had missed three penalties the Stormers handed the kicking duties to Grant and he responded by kicking a succesful penalty.

The next penalty was however taken by Joe Pietersen and he missed. The Stormers were then awarded a penalty on the edge of their 25 on the touch line and Grant stepped in to kick the winner.

The Sharks were never out of the contest, even when they were reduced to 14 men with Ross Skeate in the sin-bin, as Patrick Lambie put them into the lead in the first half and kept them in the match in the second half.

Earlier this week flyhalf Grant returned to Cape Town after a club rugby stint in Japan and he engineered his side's escape, when the match seemed headed for a 12-all draw, with a penalty two minutes from the end.

From the kick off the visiting Sharks wasted no time in taking the game to the Stormers with a brand of high-risk rugby, straight from the kick-off and the Stormers' defence faced a few testing situations early on.

The Sharks' territorial advantage in the opening 11 minutes did not cause too much damage for the Stormers who surrendered two penalties, one of which was converted by flyhalf Pat Lambie (3-0).

The Stormers seemed to ride this Sharks wave with patience before they managed to wrest the initiative and their build-up moves looked far more threatening.

They also failed to crack the defence but their fullback Joe Pietersen snapped two penalties in quick succession, starting in the 14th minute, to give them a 6-3 lead.

The Sharks managed to regroup and their penetrative sorties were thrice held up on the Stormers' tryline and again they had to settle for a Lambie three-pointer midway through the first half, when their efforts were worth considerably more (6-6).

The Sharks' territorial advantage persisted into the final 10 minutes of first-half play, and after Lambie hit the upright with a 53-metre penalty attempt from inside his own half, he was on target from the Stormers' 22-metre line to secure the Sharks a 9-6 advantage at the break.

The Stormers returned with a far greater sense or urgency about their play and their early second-half play had an element of adventure about it.

Substitute Peter Grant joined the fray in the 48th minute at the expense of No 10 Gary van Aswegen, and the Stormers' backline immediately produced a fair amount of variation when they probed the Sharks defensive lines.

Pietersen atoned for earlier lapses with a 55th minute penalty when the Stormers' pressure started to take its toll and at nine-all Pietersen hashed a another goalable attempt, just on the hour mark, when the Sharks were reduced to 14 players, with lock Ross Skeate in the sin bin.

The indiscretion earned the Stormers a penalty which Pietersen converted to edge the home side ahead 12-9.

As the match wound towards the final quarter, the Stormers started imposing themselves on the set-pieces and their cause was boosted by a number of errors which crept into the Sharks' game.

However, their finishing was far from satisfactory and their efforts in the closing stages were not enough to defend their slender three-point lead, which Lambie erased with a 74th minute penalty (12-12).

Although the Stormers continued to hold the upper hand in the ensuing minutes, their efforts couldn't produce a try, but Grant stepped up two minutes from the end to slot over a penalty from the touchline to snatch a 15-12 victory for his side.

Man of the match was won by Stormers No.8 Nick Koster.

Final Score Stormers 15 (6) Sharks 12 (9)


Tries -
Pen - J Pietersen 3, P Grant 2
Con -
Drop -
Cards -

Tries -
Pen - P Lambie 4
Con -
Drop -
Cards - R Skeate (60)

Match Officials
Referee: Mark Lawrence
Assistant Ref 1: Jason Jatha
Assistant Ref 2:Christie Du Preez
TMO : Gerrie Coetzee



15. Joe Pietersen, 14. Gio Aplon, 13. Juan de Jongh, 12. Jean de Villiers (c), 11. Bryan Habana, 10. Gary van Aswegen, 9. Dewaldt Duvenage, 8. Nick Koster, 7. Duane Vermeulen, 6. Siya Kolisi, 5. Andries Bekker (vc), 4. Eben Etzebeth, 3. Brok Harris, 2. Tiaan Liebenberg, 1. Steven Kitshoff.

Reserves: 16. Scarra Ntubeni, 17. Frans Malherbe, 18. De Kock Steenkamp, 19. Nizaam Carr, 20. Louis Schreuder, 21. Peter Grant, 22. Gerhard van den Heever.


15. Riaan Viljoen, 14. Louis Ludik, 13. JP Pietersen, 12. Meyer Bosman, 11. Lwazi Mvovo, 10. Patrick Lambie, 9. Frederic Michalak, 8. Keegan Daniel (c), 7. Marcell Coetzee, 6. Jacques Botes, 5. Ross Skeate, 4. Steven Sykes, 3. Wiehahn Herbst, 2. Bismarck du Plessis, 1. Dale Chadwick.

Reserves: 16. Craig Burden, 17. Jannie du Plessis, 18. Anton Bresler, 19. Lubabalo Mtembu, 20. Charl McLeod, 21. Marius Joubert, 22. Paul Jordaan .

Super XV Rugby Advertising

Super XV Rugby Team news